Teachers Health Fund
Who are we?
Teachers Health Fund is a not-for-profit private health insurer designed exclusively for the education community. Established in 1954 by a group of teachers, the fund now covers teachers and support staff from education unions throughout Australia and their families.
Today Teachers Health Fund continues to grow with over 100,000 members, covering over 220,000 lives across Australia.
How are we working with PaperCutz?
Teachers Health Fund has the capability to send the majority of paper correspondence to our members electronically. This includes a vast range of communications letters relating to the membership and also claims.
There are however, some items that we are legally required to print and post directly to our members.
What other sustainability initiatives do we have?
Teachers Health Fund acknowledges the current global challenges in terms of environment and natural resources and we recognise our part in reducing our resource use and ecological footprint by the most effect and efficient sustainable practices. Some of our initiatives include:
- Introduced an Environmental Sustainability Policy.
- Asked our staff to participate in an employee transport survey.
- Encourage staff to walk or take public transport to city meetings.
- Switched our fleet cars to more energy-friendly vehicles.
- Screened An Inconvenient Truth for employees.
- Participated in Business Clean Up Australia Days
- Participated in Earth Hours
- Educated staff about turning off computers, monitors, lights, printers.
- Introduced paper recycling.
- In a new office fit-out for 80 employees, we repaired and reused office desks and patricians, repaired office chairs rather than replace, installed sensor lights right through the office, used carpet squares rather than wall to wall, used low VOC paints, used LED technology in large screens, used linoleum (recycled rubber product) in the staff kitchen, installed energy saving kitchen appliances.
- Purchase eco-friendly kitchen cleaning products.
- Moved our energy-hungry IT servers to virtual servers.
- Set our copier/printers default to double-sided printing.
- Switched from plastic bags to re-usable bags for our customer purchases at Teachers Eyecare.
- Installed timers on air-conditioning and hot water systems.
- Introduced plants into our internal office environment.
- Ensure our kitchens are fully equipped so that our staff are encouraged to bring meals from home rather than purchase take-away.
- Reduced the size of our print mail-outs to members.
- Use re-usable internal office envelopes.
- Made some big steps towards a paperless office.
- Utilise e-recycling for our out-dated IT equipment.
- Encourage our members to receive updates through email rather than the post.
Why are we supporting Schools Tree Day?
Planet Ark's Schools Tree Day is a fantastic opportunity for Teachers Health Fund to support teachers and students in nurturing eco-friendly habits for the future. Our members are leading by example, electing to receive their health fund correspondence electronically. So now it's our turn to give back to the environment by supporting this great initiative and in turn, providing trees to school communities for teachers and students to enjoy every day.
If you would like to know more about Teachers Health Fund or to become a member please go to teachershealth.com.au or call us on 1300 728 188.